The Main Guard
Towards the end of the 18th century, the garrison’s main responsibility was to guard the town, whose gates were closed at night. There was a guard house near each of the four main gates; Main Guard is the only one remaining and dates from 1742. One of its three rooms is the ‘Black Hole,’ a cell to hold the drunk and disorderly. The Main Guard is now used by Berwick Civic Society for meetings and as an exhibition space.
The Main Guard will exhibit Proad Luak Kumtob Tee Touk Tong (Please Choose the Best Answer) by Sorayos Prapapan.
Venue courtesy of English Heritage and Berwick Civic Society.